We had our first growth scan for the gestational diabetes the other day.
Little mister is measuring 2.5 weeks ahead in his stomach and his head is measuring 1.5 weeks ahead. The scans will be sent to my doctor who I have an appointment with next week so don’t really know the plan moving forward yet. Although I think I will be put on insulin. At the moment I am diet controlled with one Metformin tablet a day but as my pregnancy progresses my numbers seem to be getting higher and my fasting sugars (the finger prick I do as soon as I wake up) is never under what it is suppose to be. Fasting numbers are the hardest to control as they are based on your hormones.
But maybe the only positive in having gestational diabetes is the extra growth scans and getting to see our little boy. He has grown so much in the last 10+ weeks that he doesn’t even fit on the screen! Here are some pictures from the scan the other day. The first has to be my favourite, I mean look at those lips! ❤ ❤ ❤
This was the last ultrasound scan we have had. I was 19 weeks pregnant at the time and yes the cutie is sucking his thumb.
I honestly thought I would be better at keeping this blog updated than what I have been!
Today I am 30 weeks pregnant! I can’t believe it! Sometimes I feel like the time has gone fast and other times I feel like it has gone really slow.
So let’s see what has happened…
- I had really bad everyday morning sickness to about 24 weeks and still now feel nauseous every so often.
- At 29 weeks I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. Although at first I was devastated I realised that there was nothing I could do and I have made all the right changes now. I am actually eating the healthiest I have this whole pregnancy! Although missing out on all those yummy pregnancy cravings is hard, it will all be worth it in the end.
- Our foster daughter who left our care a few months back has come back into our care permanently! We are so over joyed and feel like everything is perfect.
- Same sex marriage was legalised in Australia so T and I are being legally married in a small ceremony with just my mum and sisters there next week. We have done the whole big wedding thing so this is more of a formality for us and we wanted to do it before the baby is born.
- We have everything for the nursery now we just need to set it up!
I go on maternity leave on the 1st of March and am counting down the days! 7 weeks and 1 day left and then I am at home for 12 months!
Our baby shower is on the 28th of January. My sister is organising it and it is going to be nursery rhyme themed with blue and green as the colours. I will definitely post pictures here afterwards.
The baby is super active and moves all day. I can also feel his hiccups. T felt him kick for the first time at 25 weeks. He also responds to sound and kicks up a storm when I put on classical music for him. I want to get my hospital bag packed and ready to go over the next couple of weeks. I don’t have any kind of birth plan except for 4 things I absolutely want-
- I want to try and birth naturally for as long as possible. but if i can’t handle it than I am open to pain relief and an epidural. I don’t want to put pressure on myself thinking “I have to do this with no pain relief or I’m not really a strong woman.” That will only stress me out further. I want to go into this as relaxed as I can be because I am already experiencing some fear and anxiety towards labour and birth. I have never experienced it so it is a little scary for me.
- I only want to tell my mum, sister’s and T’s mum and sister’s that I am in labour and then that I have had the baby. I don’t want friends interrupting us with messages and phone calls and just showing up at the hospital. T and I will decide when we will share the news afterwards and I will let her know when I am ready for visitors.
- The baby is to be placed straight on my chest for skin-to-skin.
- T is going to cut the cord but only after the cord has stopped pulsing.
Other than those things I guess I just want to play it by ear and be in the moment (as much as is possible while labouring lol).
Here is my belly at 30 weeks:
I am carrying quite low so I guess the old wives tale is true- boys carry low and girls high.
He is also head down now so let’s hope he stays that way. I feel his hiccups low and he often kicks my ribs which isn’t fun lol.
Well there isn’t much left to say so until next time,